Monday, July 28, 2008

Monday Blues

So, new week, new goal. I've decided that perhaps weighing myself every Monday and Friday is counterproductive. Here's what I mean: on Friday I weighed myself and was 203.5lbs. I was happy about that. I had a decent weekend, didn't overeat, no junk, ate less than my daily requirement so I should have been the same. But no, I was 204.5lbs. Not a good start to the day.
I figure that since I don't go to the gym on the weekend, that my body isn't working off any calories beyond what's normal in a day. The weekend is also a time when I'd enjoy a beer or three and maybe a snack that doesn't fit into my usual daily routine (read flavoured rice cakes or a couple of pizza slices for dinner). So I'm introducing foods that are higher in fat and whatever other bad things but that are not necessarily high calorie. This means my body is going to react to these foods by retaining water which will increase my weight by a pound or two. Interestingly, I did hop on the scale yesterday morning and was 202.5 so I was really happy Sunday. How else to explain a 2 pound jump overnight?

I think the best time to record my weight is on Friday after a long hard week of going to the gym and being more active. This way I can avoid the stress and bad feelings that emerge when I see a nonsensical gain on Monday. So I'll update the weight this Friday.

No comments: